Assorted Anxiety Disorders

I am an adult in my early forties or maybe not. My age really doesn’t matter and for that matter my real name neither. However what really matters is my story and the countless other stories of other people who suffer from anxiety disorders and depression. Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from assorted anxiety disorders. Even though I have not been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist I have had signs and symptoms of various mental maladies such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, social anxiety, stuttering and depression. Depending on the period of my life I suffered from one or more of the above symptoms.

Throughout my life I had good times and bad times but it’s always been a struggle just to feel normal like everyone else and not be obsessed with negative thoughts and fear. Ironically enough I have considered going to the doctor many times before but was too nervous to follow through with. However due recent events in my life such as caring for sick loved ones and career advancement I’ve decided to see a doctor. Between caring for loved ones with cancer and making important future life decisions and having to learn how to drive, I decided it was time to try some medication.

I plan to update this blog whenever I have something appropriate or significant enough to mention. Ultimately my goal is simple enough, to express myself and to help others with anxiety disorders. Remember it does not matter how old you are or what your circumstances are there is help out there, you’re not alone and you’re not crazy.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Doctor

Well I finally managed to make it to the doctor and it wasn’t that bad. I kept telling myself it was for my well-being and future. In my case, I knew even if I felt slightly better it will help me tremendously in my daily life. Given those facts, I just told myself you going to see a doctor and there is no turning back now. The most difficult part was just getting enough courage to just go and face the doctor. However once I got there I was honest and blunt about signs and symptoms I have been suffering from for many years.

At first my health care provider seemed very reluctant to prescribe me any medication. It turns out that there are many people out there who abuse these types of prescribed drugs. In particular these people abuse recreationally the more stimulating type medications and others such as Valium.  However after talking about a bit of my history and my mom’s emotional problems she could tell I was truly looking for help. In fact she was quite impressed with me due to the fact I knew all my signs and symptoms and did a great deal of research beforehand. She said I was really smart and took a very intelligent approach to my health and wellbeing. Doing some research on the internet and learning as much you can before going to your physician can help very much with things going smoothly between you and your medical professional.

So after our talk she gave me a blood test which is a standard procedure for checking any kind of possible hormonal problems. Do not be concerned the blood test is quick and simple, no need to worry and was over before I knew it.  After the blood collection was done, she asked if I had any medication in mind I wanted to try. I said no and would gladly try any medication she thought I should try out to begin with. I was subsequently given a prescription for Lexapro (generic: escitalopram) to try out.  She explained to me Lexapro was a very good treatment and to start at the lowest dosage and to increase it after two weeks. I was told to come back in three weeks to evaluate how things were going and to discuss any possible unwanted side effects I might have. I proceeded to thank my doctor and went straight to the pharmacy to pick up my Rx!

No comments:

Post a Comment