Assorted Anxiety Disorders

I am an adult in my early forties or maybe not. My age really doesn’t matter and for that matter my real name neither. However what really matters is my story and the countless other stories of other people who suffer from anxiety disorders and depression. Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from assorted anxiety disorders. Even though I have not been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist I have had signs and symptoms of various mental maladies such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, social anxiety, stuttering and depression. Depending on the period of my life I suffered from one or more of the above symptoms.

Throughout my life I had good times and bad times but it’s always been a struggle just to feel normal like everyone else and not be obsessed with negative thoughts and fear. Ironically enough I have considered going to the doctor many times before but was too nervous to follow through with. However due recent events in my life such as caring for sick loved ones and career advancement I’ve decided to see a doctor. Between caring for loved ones with cancer and making important future life decisions and having to learn how to drive, I decided it was time to try some medication.

I plan to update this blog whenever I have something appropriate or significant enough to mention. Ultimately my goal is simple enough, to express myself and to help others with anxiety disorders. Remember it does not matter how old you are or what your circumstances are there is help out there, you’re not alone and you’re not crazy.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

General Practitioner Or Psychiatrist

So like I mentioned in a earlier post, I ended up going to a general practitioner and not a psychiatrist to get my anti-anxiety prescribed medication. So at this point you might be wondering why I went to a family doctor and not a psychiatrist. The reason being is I went to psychiatrist before and it helped as much as it could. However I knew along with my psychiatrist I was going to need more help than just talking about my emotions and thoughts. I was going to need some type of prescription drugs and at the time my shrink was not able to prescribe medications to her clients.

So instead of seeking out a brand-new shrink who was able to prescribe medication I knew what I really just needed was to try medication therapy. After conducting a lot of research I was able to learn that a great deal of family doctors these days are well skilled in treating a variety of mental disorders. Unfortunately since mental disorders and emotional stress is so prevalent these days general practitioners have been literally forced to learn about it in order to better serve their patients.

Obviously I’m not a doctor so I can’t tell you what to do, however in my case I just needed to start the medication and see how it affects me. So just visiting my family Dr. works perfectly fine for me at the moment and if things change down the road I can always book an appointment with a psychiatrist. Like I said I’m not a trained health consultant however if you feel like a psychiatrist is not needed or your health insurance doesn’t cover it just remember your family physician can still help you. I have to be honest here if I had to start all over again I probably would’ve just gone straight to my family doctor for assistance instead of speaking to a mental health expert first.

At least in my case it was more of a chemical imbalance then a mental imbalance which was causing me my problems with high stress and anxiety levels. Just to be clear I’m not trying to change anybody’s mind about going to see a psychiatrist or the importance of seeing a psychiatrist. In the grand scheme of things psychiatrists are a very important part of the treatment matrix for mental disorders. Just in my case because of all the research I had been doing since I was a child I knew I was born with a chemical imbalance and really only medication can truly help that.

No comments:

Post a Comment