Assorted Anxiety Disorders

I am an adult in my early forties or maybe not. My age really doesn’t matter and for that matter my real name neither. However what really matters is my story and the countless other stories of other people who suffer from anxiety disorders and depression. Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from assorted anxiety disorders. Even though I have not been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist I have had signs and symptoms of various mental maladies such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, social anxiety, stuttering and depression. Depending on the period of my life I suffered from one or more of the above symptoms.

Throughout my life I had good times and bad times but it’s always been a struggle just to feel normal like everyone else and not be obsessed with negative thoughts and fear. Ironically enough I have considered going to the doctor many times before but was too nervous to follow through with. However due recent events in my life such as caring for sick loved ones and career advancement I’ve decided to see a doctor. Between caring for loved ones with cancer and making important future life decisions and having to learn how to drive, I decided it was time to try some medication.

I plan to update this blog whenever I have something appropriate or significant enough to mention. Ultimately my goal is simple enough, to express myself and to help others with anxiety disorders. Remember it does not matter how old you are or what your circumstances are there is help out there, you’re not alone and you’re not crazy.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Or Not

Just for the record this blog is not about any particular prescription drug or even to suggest using prescribed medication. This is simply my story and to record my progress with medication therapy. I have on my own read a great number of publications and researched on the internet for self-help programs. There is a lot of very good information out there to read and learn from, however these days there are also a great deal of scams. Considering that I knew something wasn’t quite right with me since I was a kid, I have done a great amount of research throughout the years. 

To make a long story short a lot of what I read and implemented did help to a certain extent. As you become more aware of the problem the more you can discover ways to deal with it and modify its effects on you. Nevertheless it was never enough, I still felt very high levels of anxiety and I finally went to a psychiatrist. The shrink did help to a certain degree, and afterwards we concluded that in my case I needed to try prescription medication to further my treatment and progress.  At that point I had to make a decision, go to another shrink who could prescribe medication or just visit my general practitioner.

I ended up going to my family doctor, which I will explain why in fine detail in a later blog post. In short it was just a lot quicker to go with my general practitioner and begin there. In the event that down the road I decide I need to seek the help from a mental health expert once again, I could always do that. The good news is for sufferers like us general practitioners these days are very well versed in treating all sorts of mental disorders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment