Assorted Anxiety Disorders

I am an adult in my early forties or maybe not. My age really doesn’t matter and for that matter my real name neither. However what really matters is my story and the countless other stories of other people who suffer from anxiety disorders and depression. Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from assorted anxiety disorders. Even though I have not been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist I have had signs and symptoms of various mental maladies such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, social anxiety, stuttering and depression. Depending on the period of my life I suffered from one or more of the above symptoms.

Throughout my life I had good times and bad times but it’s always been a struggle just to feel normal like everyone else and not be obsessed with negative thoughts and fear. Ironically enough I have considered going to the doctor many times before but was too nervous to follow through with. However due recent events in my life such as caring for sick loved ones and career advancement I’ve decided to see a doctor. Between caring for loved ones with cancer and making important future life decisions and having to learn how to drive, I decided it was time to try some medication.

I plan to update this blog whenever I have something appropriate or significant enough to mention. Ultimately my goal is simple enough, to express myself and to help others with anxiety disorders. Remember it does not matter how old you are or what your circumstances are there is help out there, you’re not alone and you’re not crazy.

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Lexapro Side Effects

It’s been about two weeks now since I’ve been on Lexapro and I’ve been taken 7 mg a day to begin with. My doctor suggested I try 7 mg for couple weeks and then take an additional pill and gauge the effects on me. I was warned that before I start feeling any better I probably would feel much worse for a short period of time as my body adjusts to the medication. Well to be quite honest I kind of feel terrible in certain aspects, which I understand, is completely normal at this point. Some of the initial side effects I’ve been feeling so far are weird electrical shock type of sensations.

They are not painful at all however very annoying. It is kind hard to explain but they feel like mild electrical shocks which occur suddenly and at any given moment. Along with those electrical shocks are sudden twitches of different muscle groups in particular my legs and feet. My feet can’t seem to stay still for long periods of time without twitching and moving around on its own. My sleeping has been badly interrupted as well. Between the mild electrical shocks and the sudden muscle contractions which follow makes having a peaceful sleep very difficult to achieve. Consequently I have been feeling a lot more tired through out the days now. In particular the very first few days were very difficult however the side effects seem to begin to be diminishing as the days go by thankfully.

From what I understand at this point many people just stop using the Lexapro or similar medication believing that the medication is not working for them. However from what I read and also was explained by my doctor that these side effects are completely normal and will subside with time. Which afterwards the medication will begin to work and provide relief for my depression and anxiety. In all honesty though besides not being able to sleep well so far the side effects haven’t been that bad at all and I will continue taking the medication for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment